Concerning “The Last Stage”, from auctioning Bag-End to Bilbo’s afterthought…
Please support on Patreon for as little as $1 per episode!
Topics discussed (chapter discussion begins at 6:45)…
- May 1st: Arriving in Rivendell
- Song of the Elves: “The dragon is withered”
- The White Council (Gandalf and Elrond convo)
- “Sing all Ye joyful”
- The Last Road
- Trolls gold
- Coming to the Shire → Roads go ever on and on
- The auction
- Losing property
- Losing reputation
- Years later…
- Balin’s visit / Update on Erebor / Dale / Laketown
- The moral ⇒ The old songs prove true
- Tolkien’s word on what The Hobbit is about…
Other items discussed…
- History of The Hobbit by John D. Rateliff
- Annotated Hobbit by Douglas Anderson
- The Atlas of Middle-earth by Karen Wynn Fonstad
For more on this episode and The Tolkien Road podcast, please visit TolkienRoad.com or Facebook.com/TolkienRoad. Also, follow us on Twitter via @TolkienRoad.
Please send correspondence to [email protected].