As you’ve probably heard by now, the upcoming LOTR TV show will focus heavily on the story of Númenor and the Second Age of Middle-earth. Of the three Ages of Middle-earth, this is the one that we know the least about. For that reason, we thought it would be good to revisit the Second Age and really get our hands dirty in the details. Over the next several episodes, we’ll be embarking on a quest to make you as knowledgeable about Middle-earth’s Second Age as possible. On this week’s episode, we’ll be examining the timeline of this Age as found in Appendix B of The Lord of the Rings.
If you like The Tolkien Road, you can support us for only $1 per episode via Patreon!
Topics discussed on this week’s episode…
- The Map: https://www.amazon.com/adlp/lotronprime
- The Beginning of the Second Age?This is a 3500 year period!
- The Fate of the High Elves
- Gil-galad: http://www.tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Gil-galad
- Celeborn and Galadriel dwelt here.
- Eastward: Thranduil and others.
- Lindon: Gil-galad, High King of the Elves of the West.
- The Noldor in Moria
- Tar-Minastir: http://www.tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Tar-Minastir
- Celebrimbor was Lord of Eregion (descended from Fëanor)
- Friendship of Elves and Dwarves here was the best there has ever been.
- 32: Edain reach Númenor
- 442: Elros = son of Eärendil, brother of Elrond
- 500: Sauron begins to stir again.
- 521: Silmariën – http://www.tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Silmari%C3%ABn
- 600: The return to Middle-earth by the Númenoreans?
- 750: Eregion founded by the Noldor.
- c1000: Sauron founds Mordor (scared of the Numenoreans).
- 1075: Tar-Ancalimë becomes the first Ruling Queen of Númenor.http://www.tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Tar-Ancalim%C3%AB
- 1500-1590: The forging of the Rings of Power.
- 1600: One Ring forged. Celebrimbor onto him.
- 1693-1701: War of the Elves and Sauron. Sauron eventually defeated by forces of Tar-Minastir.
For more on this episode and The Tolkien Road podcast, please visit TolkienRoad.com or Facebook.com/TolkienRoad. Also, follow us on Twitter via @TolkienRoad.
Please send correspondence to [email protected].