With Arnor fallen, and Gondor in decline and under increasing attacks from outside, it’s looking bad for Númenorean civilization. Yet it’s also during this period that new sources of hope begin to arise in Middle-earth, from the the founding of Erebor to the birth of the White Council, amongst other important events and trends. Join us, as we continue our exploration of Middle-earth’s Third Age!
Enjoy this episode? Leave us a tip to show your appreciation!
On this episode, we’re discussing the events spanning TA1977 – TA2480. With Arnor fallen, and Gondor in decline and under increasing attacks from outside, it’s looking bad for Númenorean civilization. But it’s also during this period that we see the rise of the Rohirrim, the founding of Erebor, and the forming of the White Council, amongst other important events and trends.
- 1977: Frumgar leads the Éothéod into the North (of Mirkwood).
- 1979: Bucca of the Marish becomes first Thain of the Shire
- 1980: The Witch-king comes to Mordor and there gathers the Nazgûl. A Balrog appears in Moria, and there slays Durin VI.
- 1981: Náin I slain. The Dwarves flee from Moria. Many of the Silvan Elves of Lórien flee south. Amroth and Nimrodel are lost.
- 1999: EREBOR founded
- 2000-2002: Siege and fall of Minas Ithil » Minas Morgul.
- 2043-2050: Reign and downfall of Ëarnur, last King of Gondor. Reign of the Stewards of Gondor begins.
- 2060/2063: Rise of Dol Guldur / Watchful Peace begins.
- 2210: Thorin I leaves Erebor. (not Thorin Oakenshield)
- 2340: Isumbras I becomes 13th Thain…
- 2460: The Watchful Peace ends. Sauron returns to Dol Guldur. (400 year period)
- 2463: The White Council is formed. Smeagol murders Deagol. (connected with the return of Sauron to Dol Guldur)
- 2470: Smeagol hides in the Misty Mountains.
- 2475: Attack on Gondor renewed / Osgiliath ruined, stone-bridge broken.
- 2480: Sauron’s Misty Mountains strategy begins.
So we really see, that well before the events of LOTR, Sauron is already making a strong push to reestablish himself as one of the main powers in Middle-earth. Next time we’ll get time the rise of Rohan and the coming of the dragons.
Please patronize us: https://patreon.com/tolkienroad
Listen to the previous episodes in this series:
Also, don’t forget to check out our series on the Second Age!
Special thanks to the following patrons:
- Shannon S
- Brian O
- Emilio P
- Zeke F
- James A
- James L
- Chris L
- Chuck F
- Asya V
- Ish of the Hammer
- Teresa C
- David of Pints with Jack
- Jonathan D
- Eric S
- Joey S
- Eric B
- Kaitlyn of Tea with Tolkien
- Matt L