With Gondor increasingly hemmed in, the Rohirrim emerge as a new ally in the struggle against the forces of Mordor, and Saruman is entrusted with Isengard. However, all is not well in the north, as great dragons descend upon the settlements of the dwarves, and a long and deadly winter arrives. Join us as we continue our discussion of Middle-earth’s Third Age!
On this episode, we’re discussing the events spanning TA2480 – TA2770. In this period, with Gondor in continued decline, we witness the birth of Rohan as one of their key allies, as well as the growth of Hobbit civilization.
- 2509: Celebrían’s departure
- 2510-2570: Rise of the Rohirrim. Eorl the Young / Calenardhon / Baldor
- 2570: Dragons appear in the far north and afflict the dwarves.
- 2589: Dain I slain by a dragon.
- 2683: Great Smials?
- 2698: Ecthelion I rebuilds the White Tower in Minas Tirith.
- 2740: Orcs renew invasion of Eriador
- 2747: Bandobras Took? (Bullroarer)
- 2758-9: The Long Winter?
- 2759: Saruman to Isengard. Where did it come from?
- 2770: Smaug descends on Erebor.
With Smaug’s coming to Erebor, the dwarves are without a home, and will struggle to find their place in the world. We’ll take a closer look at their struggle as well as the struggles of Rohan and the coming of Aragorn next time.
Please patronize us: https://patreon.com/tolkienroad
Listen to the previous episodes in this series:
Episode 203 – LOTR – History of the Third Age – Pt 1
Episode 204 – LOTR – History of the Third Age – Pt 2
Episode 205 – LOTR – History of the Third Age – Pt 3
Episode 206 – LOTR – History of the Third Age – Pt 4
Also, don’t forget to check out our series on the Second Age!
Special thanks to the following patrons:
- Shannon S
- Brian O
- Emilio P
- Zeke F
- James A
- James L
- Chris L
- Chuck F
- Asya V
- Ish of the Hammer
- Teresa C
- David of Pints with Jack
- Jonathan D
- Eric S
- Joey S
- Eric B
- Kaitlyn of Tea with Tolkien
- Matt L
- Johanna T